Learning how to use the Baofeng UV-5R can be sort of frustrating you are just getting started. Baofeng doesn’t provide a whole lot of information with their instruction manual. This video is just going over the buttons and what they do. There will be a follow up video discussing how to program the Baofeng UV-5R and another one about connecting to repeaters.
How to Use the Baofeng UV-5R
- Call Button – This button is used to turn on the FM radio that is included. This helps when you are in an emergency situation and need to know critical information about the event. The Call button also sets an alarm.
- PTT (Push To Talk) – This button allows you to communicate with other HAM radio operators. Do not press this button if you don’t know have a license to operate. If you operate illegally then your location can be triangulated and could be forced to pay some hefty fines to the FCC.
- MONI – The MONI button is used to monitor a particular frequency. Instead of setting the Squelch to only play when a particular noise’s volume is met at a certain level this gives you the ability to hear everything. It essentially removes the squelch level.
- V/M (Frequency and Channel Button) – This button switches between frequencies that you can scan and the channels that you have set. You may not know how to use the Baofeng UV-5R to program channels but we will get into that in another video.
- A/B Button – Switches between the active listening and transmitting channels.
- BAND – This button switches between the VHF and UHF frequencies set on the radio.
This video has been about how to use the Baofeng UV-5R. In future videos will be discussing programming and how to connect to repeaters. Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions that I can help you with.
Photography by Jaraguá Notícia